Saturday, January 26, 2013

poppin tags: part two

today I went to goodwill. We browsed the sweater section for a while, and I found this great large gauge knit sweater in this awesome grey color. 
Here's the sweater. It's super plain and enormous,  and I hate the collar... but i saw its potential.
 When I saw this sweater, it made me think of some awesome Wildfox sweaters I've seen online. Here's one. It's ripped at the bottom and baggy. The only thing is that this retails for around $200! I do not have that kind of budget... So I decided to make my own version.
Gorgeous, right??
You'll need a sweater with thick yarn and a loose knit like this:

 You'll also need a seam ripper. First off, you will rip the vertical threads of the knit however wide you want the hole to be.


Here's what it looks like to rip the vertical threads:


 This is what you're going to get. This is how wide I wanted my hole, but it will end up much longer.

 Next, start to pull the horizontal threads out of the knit. This will create horizontal threads that are loose but attached at either side like this:

 Keep pulling until your hole is as long as you want and repeat until you're satisfied. =)

This is what my sweater turned into... I kinda destroyed the whole thing, but I like it. I think I'll do another one more like the wildfox example i showed you that will be ripped only at the bottom. 
Anyhow, I just wanted to show you one way that you can turn something cheap, plain, and generally ugly into a unique piece of clothing! Also, this sweater was half off which meant it was only $3.50! What a score!

No comments:

Post a Comment