Monday, January 28, 2013

Poppin Tags: Part Three

For the third installment of my poppin tags series, I'm going to fill you in on my thrift store shopping rules. When you're making your way through racks of endless used clothing its essential to have a strategy or you might just end up drowning in appliqué sweater vests and ill fitting blazers from the 80's. Here are my rules to thrifty success:

  1. Go in with a goal in mind. What exactly are you shopping for? Make a mental list: dark wash jeans, sweater, black jacket... etc. If you don't have a specific item in mind, acknowledge that you are just browsing.
  2. How much work are you willing to put into the pieces that you buy? If you're handy with a sewing machine or a pair of scissors, you have a lot to work with, but if you're trying to buy items as is you need to make sure you find exactly what you're looking for in good condition.
  3. What is your budget? How much are you willing to spend today? Give yourself a soft limit and a hard limit. Example: I'd like to spend no more than $20 but if I find something I can't live without, I'll pay $30.
  4. To find some high quality and brand name items, try shopping in thrift stores in rich areas of your community. If you live near LA, make a trip to Bel Air and see what there is to find there. This goes for consignment stores as well. You can find some AMAZING deals on designer pieces. 
  5. This relates to #4, even if you find a piece that has an impressive label, never buy it unless you really love it! The brand is not worth it unless you actually will wear the item. This is especially true because the designer items are generally priced higher than the rest. A couple weeks ago at Buffalo Exchange, I almost bought a Wildfox shirt dress that I didn't love just because it was wildfox. I didn't even really like the dress! Then I realized it would be so much better if I just held out for something I really loved regardless of the brand.
  6. Buying used clothing gives you a good idea about how the fabric/construction will age. For example, you will find countless pilled up cotton-poly blend sweaters, mountains of malfunctioning zippers, and seams that just don't hold up to the test of time. Look for pieces that are like a good bottle of wine; look for pieces that age gracefully. Chances are, if they're in tact now, you'll be able to wear your thrift store finds for a while.
  7. Look for sales! I know this sounds super obvious, but many thrift stores tag their items with different colors and different days can be 50% off of each color tag day. (The sweater in my last post had a purple tag, and it was a 50% off purple tag day! Score for me!)
  8. Accept that it will be a process. There really is no such thing as a quick thrift store mission. It really is a hunt, but trust me it's worth it! You'll get the thrill of the find when you score that killer maxi skirt for less than $5. Give yourself plenty of time and shop with people who have plenty of patience. 
Happy thrifting!!

No comments:

Post a Comment