Thursday, April 18, 2013

Business Casual With a Twist


Lovelies! I hope you've all had a delightful week and are looking forward to the weekend, I know I am! Anyways, I wanted to talk about business casual clothing today. As you may or my not know, I'm in the sorority Kappa Kappa Gamma, and we are required to wear business casual to our meetings. At first, this was a huge challenge for me because my style is just not conservative. However, I've been able to figure out some easy and classy business casual options. It's really great to know how to dress this way because if you want to be successful in any professional setting or interview, a solid business casual outfit is a must.

Firstly, I want to introduce you to the general rules of business casual:

  1. No jeans. Even colored jeans.
  2. No leggings and boots.
  3. Nothing shorter than finger tip length for skirts.
  4. Nothing too low cut.
  5. Avoid showing undergarments such as bra straps.
  6. Never wear things with lots of logos or letters.
  7. Think "professional," "appropriate," and "put together"
  8. If you would wear it to the gym or the beach, it's not business casual.
  9. If you would wear it to a club or party, it's not business casual.
  10. Platform stilettos and other sky high heels are probably not appropriate.
  11. Think classy! 

Here are some ways you can dress to impress without sacrificing your personal style!

Here's one of my favorite strategies. Find a black pencil skirt that you like and make endless outfits with it. This allows you to buy less items of clothing because once you have a pencil skirt, you can add a variety of blouses, accessories, and blazers to make it an outfit. I would recommend finding a comfortable, high waisted pencil skirt that is almost knee length. I find that peplum style blouses look the best with these; I get annoyed with tucking shirts in. Mix and match your blouses, flats, heels, and accessories and you're good to go! Add a blazer to polish your look even further!

This outfit is super simple and classy. Try a dress that has a boat neck like this one. The quality silk fabric will make you look put together and professional. Make sure to steam or iron it! The 3 inch nude heels will add length to your legs while keeping it classy. Throw on a pair of stud earrings, dangly ones look much less professional. 


Throw in a couple statement pieces like the jewelry and skirt while keeping to a similar color scheme. The golds and pinks will make you stand out in a sea of grey and black! This skirt can still show off your curves while still being appropriate for the workplace.

Hope this helps!!

1 comment:

  1. Very good advice. Thanks! I don't like the idea of dressing too conservative, but I had similar thought about bringing a twist to the business casual.

    Catalina

    ReplyDelete